Do you wake up in the morning feeling like you dozed off in a hot yoga class? You probably sleep hot (and not in the “go to bed in full glam” kind of way) and most definitely not on a cooling mattress. The time has come to re-evaluate your bedding situation. Just because you’ve always accepted that you sweat more than Pinocchio strapped to a lie detector while you sleep doesn’t mean it has to be this way.
A cooling mattress will change everything.
If you thought that you were doomed to night sweating forever, you were wrong. When you sleep on a copper mattress, you’ll wake up as cool as a cucumber.
You change your bed’s sheets, brush off the pet hair, and never eat in bed – you do so much for your mattress. It’s time you stop asking what you can do for your mattress and start asking what your (cooling) mattress can do for you!
What is a Cooling Mattress?
A cooling mattress doesn’t have built-in ice trays. If you love a good deep-freeze slumber, we recommend moving to Alaska and leaving the windows open. However, a cooling mattress can keep your body heat from getting trapped at the top of your mattress and making you miserable.
The Layla Mattress is made of copper-gel infused foam. Since copper is conductive, heat sticks to it like a magnet (aka inside the mattress and away from your torso). Unlike traditional mattresses, which retain your natural body heat at the surface, a cooling mattress stays temperature controlled where your body makes contact.
If you run hot during the night, your excess body heat will be carried away and trapped in the middle of the mattress where it can’t bother you.
5 Signs It’s Time for a Cooling Mattress
Still not sure whether you sleep hot enough to justify a new mattress? Here are five things to look for. If you recognize yourself in any of the following scenarios, it’s into your shopping cart a cooling mattress goes.
1. Your Pillow Does More Nightly Rotations Than a Rotisserie Chicken
If your face gets so hot that you’re constantly looking for the cool side of the pillow, you’re definitely sleeping hotter than you need to be. And for a lot of people, their head and feet are the epicenters of their temperature control. In other words, if your face or feet get hot – it’s game over for being comfortable.
In addition to getting a copper cooling mattress, you may want to consider getting a Layla Pillow. Made from the same copper-infused cover and a natural filler, our pillows are a gamechanger for hot sleepers. You won’t have to flip your pillow from side to side all night if it stays cool no matter what. And less pillow flipping means more fitful sleep.
2. You Flip-Flop Like a Trout on a Dock All Night
Does your fitness tracker mark you as “awake” when you could swear you were sound asleep? Or maybe your partner lets you know that you’ve basically been break dancing all night. Either way, you’ve clearly been restless when you should have been in REM.
Tossing and turning can be a signal that your body is overheating and trying to find a cooler, more comfortable position. You could start going to bed on top of the covers – but getting cozy before you fall asleep is far more appealing. In addition to buying a cooling mattress, you can mitigate some of your restlessness by:
- Not exercising before bed. Your body naturally loses 1 to 2 degrees of heat before you sleep in order to help you stay temperature controlled while you’re resting. Going for a night run could change that, however.
- Rethinking your sleep attire. Even clothing that you think is conducive to sleeping cool – like a short-sleeved t-shirt – could lead to restlessness depending on the material. Choose a moisture-wicking fabric instead of wearing cotton, for instance.
- Getting a mattress topper. If you can’t even get comfortable enough to fall asleep, you are likely to toss and turn when you finally doze off. A Layla Mattress topper keeps you extra cool and conforms to your body for total comfort even if you’re on a regular mattress.
3. Your Air Conditioning Bill Needs a GoFundMe
Sure, you found a way to stay cool all night – it’s just costing you an arm and a leg (and a metaphorical kidney). When you open your utility bill every month, the envelope whispers, “you better sit down” just before you break the seal.
You’re cranking the AC all night just to stay cool.
If you can’t go to bed without turning up your HVAC system, you need to start asking how a cooling mattress could solve your problems. We’re not saying a copper mattress is the same as a sweet stream of treated air on your face, but it comes in a very close second. In combination with light-weight sheets, the copper-infused memory foam of a Layla Mattress will limit your need to run air conditioning at night.
4. Your Partner is a Hot Potato
Maybe it’s not you, it’s them. Are you sleeping next to a hot potato every night? You don’t want to pass them, you just want them to stop radiating their body heat in your direction. You’re at the point where you can’t even cuddle because you’ll both overheat and end up miserable.
A cooling mattress could save your love life. Or, at least help it along?
The great thing about a Layla Mattress is that not only does it have cooling capabilities, it also makes sleeping next to another person easier in general. When you’re snoozing on a Layla Mattress, you benefit from:
- Motion transfer control. In short, this means that if you or your partner tend to do flutter kicks while dreaming, the other person won’t get seasick.
- Total body conformity. The memory foam on your side of the mattress conforms to your body, molding itself to your needs. Two people can have very different body types and be equally comfortable on the same mattress.
- Antimicrobial properties. Copper isn’t just cool, it’s also clean. If you get a little grossed out at the thought of sleeping around someone else’s germs, you can rest easier knowing your antimicrobial mattress copper-gel foam is killing the little buggers while you rest.
5. Your Mornings Look Like a Scene from a Zombie Movie
The real test of good sleep is how you feel in the morning. If you’re too hot all night, you’re going to be discombobulated in the morning. Some overheated-sleep hangovers can’t even be fixed by coffee. They can, however, be cured with a cooling mattress.
Your body knows when you’re uncomfortable, even when you’re unconscious. A general malaise and tiredness in the morning is a clear symbol that something is up.
One reason for tired mornings is hot nights. Maybe your body isn’t going into total relaxation mode because it’s too busy subconsciously kicking the covers off. Maybe you’re staying half-awake in case you need to go get a glass of water. When your body is on high alert for any reason, it can’t drift into true rest mode.
A new mattress could change all that.
How to Find the Best Cooling Mattress
What should you look for in the right cooling mattress? There are a few factors that will ensure you’re getting the right bed for a comfortable night’s sleep and a rested morning. You can start your search by seeking out a mattress that:
- Has multiple layers of foam. A good cooling mattress will not only have body-conforming foam at the top, but also a layer of convoluted foam in the middle. This layer helps air circulate and keeps the overall temperature of the bed down. We say the more layers the merrier, which is why the Layla Mattress has four unique foam layers with convoluted foam near the middle.
- Comes with a free trial. It can take time to adjust to your new way of sleeping (aka not as if you’re in a sauna). At Layla, we offer a 120-night trial period on all our mattresses. You get to sleep on your new, cooler mattress for a few months and decide if it’s offering enough temperature control. We’re confident it will.
- Is backed by evidence-based claims. Anyone could claim their mattress keeps you cool. But not everyone can say they actually use materials that are proven to be conductive and offer real cooling potential. At Layla, we know copper is tried and tested to offer a serious cool down to even the hottest of sleepers.
Consider these five signs of sleeping hot your wake-up call. You deserve the best. And the best doesn’t include waking up at 1 am to chug a glass of ice water and fan your face.
Layla’s copper-infused mattress, on the other hand… we’re pretty sure American treasure Tina Turner would dedicate her 1989 smash hit, “The Best,” to us. It’s time to shop for your next copper-infused cooling mattress. Your refreshed self can thank us later.