10. UNCOVER YOUR FEETDoing something as simple as sticking your feet out of the blanket and letting them breathe can help increase your fatigue levels and get you sleeping faster.
9. READEven if it’s just this blog post. Nothing gets you sleepy like reading small text on a brightly lit phone or tablet late at night. But don’t do this for more than ten or fifteen minutes because then it can actually stimulate you and cause you to be even more awake…and try not to get caught up in your social media feeds 🙂
8. ADJUST THE ROOM TEMPERATUREWhen trying to sleep, an easy rule to remember is the cooler, the better. Reduce your room temperature to between 67 and 72 degrees. If you’re using a heavy blanket, try something lighter or just cover yourself with a flat sheet. Which brings us to number seven.
7. CHANGE YOUR BED SHEETSEver lay in bed unable to sleep and can’t figure out why? A lot of times it’s your sheets and your pillow. When you haven’t changed your sheets and pillow cases in a while, they can accumulate dead skin cells or dust which may make it difficult to fall asleep (and yes, it’s gross too). It’s worth the ten minutes for you to get up and change your sheets and pillow cases. Hopefully you have a set of cotton or bamboo fiber sheets which are the most breathable and help you get optimal sleep. If you don’t have them you can learn more about bamboo fiber sheets here. Also, if you don’t have a nice firm pillow, or not enough pillows now’s a good time to grab some from the linen closet or the other room.
6. KEEP IT BETWEEN THE KNEESThis one is for side sleepers. Picture an eye level view of your body laying down on its side. Your bottom leg is straight because it is resting on your mattress but the leg on top is slanted down on an angle from your hip to your foot because it is resting on your straight leg. This is causing stress and pain on your hips and lower back. To fix this, simply place a pillow in between your knees and your upper leg is now straight. Some people may need one pillow in between their knees, and another pillow in between their ankles.
That same stress that was on your hips is also on your shoulders. Simply hold a large, firm pillow against your chest and wrap your arms around it. Now you have relieved your hips, and your shoulders from stress and pain while sleeping on your side. Bonus: since you are now hugging a pillow, you will no longer feel lonely.